Thursday, January 5, 2012

My first DIY wall decoration (idea from Pinterest)

First of all let me say that I am addicted to Pinterest! There are so many fabulous ideas!


Ok, here is my step-by-step process to making these awesome yet very inexpensive wall decor:


1. I went to Lowe's and found a thin piece of board (shelving board) and had them cut it into 12x12 pieces. This was the exact size to get 8 pieces. (I only used 6 for this project)





2. Then I picked out 6 sheets of scrapbooking paper that I wanted to use.


3. I took a piece of sand paper and smoothed all four sides of each square.


4. I then painted the edges of the boards. As you can see I am using some of my daughters Crayola paint so don't think you have to go out and buy expensive paint.


5. After the edges dried I took some watered down glue and then coated the side where the paper would be going. Make sure you have a good coat on there. It helps to prevent air bubbles.



6. After you get your paper on, immediately place a weight on top of it. I used my thick packs of scrapbook paper and random other things that completely covered the surface and pressed it down good.


After 5 minutes you can take the weight off and them let them air dry.


After they were dry I took an X-Acto knife and trimmed off any paper that was over hanging.


7. I used Distress Ink to smudge the edges of the paper. This softens the edges and gives them that cool vintage look.



8. Time to hang them! I used the 3M velcro picture hanging strips so that they would be not completely flush with the wall.




 I love the distressed look!



The only two things I paid for was the wood and the distress ink. Only $15 for this entire project!!

No comments:

Post a Comment